Hip Replacement – 4 Day Treatment
- 69 year-old female.
- Admitted for total hip replacement.
- Comorbidities included chronic anaemia and type 2 diabetes.
- BMI over 35.
- Initial surgery went well with no issues noted and discharged home with AQUACEL® Surgical dressing and prescribed Dabigtran (VTE prophylaxis).
- 9 days later the patient experienced pain and wound discharge.
- The patient was reviewed at the clinic on day 9 (Figure 1) the wound was bruised, indurated with mild exudate.
Management & Results
- The Avelle™ NPWT System was applied on day 9 and Dabigatran stopped.
- The incision was reviewed 4 days later (Figure 2) and presented clean, dry and with no bruising.