Closed Surgical Incision – 6-day Treatment
- 35-year old female.
- Breast cancer patient went on to have a skin-sparing mastectomy, axillary node dissection and immediate breast reconstruction using an autologous latissimus dorsi flap.
- The surgical incision was 15cm long and stitched in layers, ending with a resorbable subcuticular structure.
- The surrounding skin had a purplish tinge
Management & Results
- The Avelle™ NPWT System was applied to the dorsal wound at the end of the operation.
- Due to the proximity of the drain, the main challenge during the first 2 postoperative days was to keep the dressing sealed. The Avelle™ NPWT dressing was changed on day two with the port in a paravertebral position.
- On day 6 the drain was no longer productive, this was removed and the patient taken off NPWT, all signs of peri-wound skin breakdown had disappeared (Figure 2). After discharge the wound was treated with a Hydrofiber ® Technology foam dressing for 5 days, after which it was exposed to air.
- The portable Avelle™ NPWT Pump and slim-line dressing allowed the patient to remain mobile, shower and dress as normal.
Figure 1: Avelle™ NPWT System application
Figure 2: End of NPWT Therapy